"Baby I Need Your Loving" is a 1964 hit single recorded by the Four Tops for the Motown label. Written and produced by Motown's main production team Holland-Dozier-Holland, the song was the group's first Motown single and their first pop Top 20 hit, making it to number eleven on the Billboard Hot 100 in the fall of 1964. It was also their first million-selling hit single.
British group The Fourmost released their version of this song, reaching #24 in November 1964. A surviving episode of the trendy 1960s TV music series Ready Steady Go! shows them performing the song.
The Supremes covered the song in 1966 in their ''The Supremes A' Go Go'' album.
The song was recorded by Johnny Rivers in 1967. His version, titled "Baby I Need Your Lovin'", was released as a single, and became a number-three hit on the Billboard pop chart. It was also performed as a duet by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell on their 1969 album, Easy.
O.C. Smith covered it and took it to #52 in 1970. Eric Carmen took it to #62 in 1979. Sandie Shaw also recorded a version, as did Carl Carlton (1982), Gene Pitney, and British pop group Dreamhouse (1998).
Rolling Stone ranked The Four Tops' original version of the song at #390 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
In 2000, Westlife performed the song for the medley part of their Where the Dreams Come True Tour.
In 2015, Filipino band Harana covered the song which is the theme song of the 2015 Filipino film, You're My Boss.
- Category: 1964 singles
- Category: 1964 songs
- Category: 1967 singles
- Category: Four Tops songs
- Category: Imperial Records singles
- Category: Johnny Rivers songs
- Category: Motown singles
- Category: Song recordings produced by Brian Holland
- Category: Song recordings produced by Lamont Dozier
- Category: Songs written by HollandâDozierâHolland
- album: Four Tops (album)
- album: Rewind (Johnny Rivers album)
- genre: Folk music
- genre: Popular music
- genre: Rhythm and blues
- genre: Rock music
- genre: Soul music
- musicalArtist: Four Tops
- musicalArtist: Johnny Rivers
- musicalBand: Four Tops
- musicalBand: Johnny Rivers
- performer: Four Tops
- previousWork: Poor Side of Town
- producer: Brian Holland
- producer: Lamont Dozier
- record label: Motown
- recordLabel: Imperial Records
- recordLabel: Motown
- recordedIn: 1964 in music
- recordedIn: Hitsville U.S.A.
- releaseDate: 19640710
- subclass of: single
- subsequentWork: The Tracks of My Tears
- subsequentWork: Without the One You Love (Life's Not Worth While)
- writer: HollandâDozierâHolland