Elvis is an upcoming biographical musical drama film about Elvis Presley directed by Baz Luhrmann, from a screenplay written by Luhrmann, Sam Bromell, Craig Pearce, and Jeremy Doner, with a story by Luhrmann and Doner. It stars Austin Butler and Tom Hanks, with Helen Thomson, Richard Roxburgh, Olivia DeJonge, Luke Bracey, Natasha Bassett, David Wenham, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Xavier Samuel, and Kodi Smit-McPhee in supporting roles.
Elvis is scheduled to be released in the United States on June 24, 2022, by Warner Bros. Pictures.
The film chronicles the life and career of singer and actor Elvis Presley, the “King of Rock and Roll”, from his early days as a child to becoming a rock and movie star.
- Austin Butler as Elvis Presley
- Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker
- Helen Thomson as Gladys Presley, Elvis’s mother
- Richard Roxburgh as Vernon Presley, Elvis’s father
- Olivia DeJonge as Priscilla Presley
- Luke Bracey as Jerry Schilling
- Natasha Bassett as Dixie Locke
- David Wenham as Hank Snow
- Kelvin Harrison Jr. as B.B. King
- Xavier Samuel as Scotty Moore
- Kodi Smit-McPhee as Jimmie Rodgers Snow
- Dacre Montgomery as Steve Binder
- Yola Quartey as Sister Rosetta Tharpe
- Alton Mason as Little Richard
- Gary Clark Jr. as Arthur Crudup
- Shonka Dukureh as Willie Mae Big Mama Thornton
- Leon Ford as Tom Diskin, a spokesman for Col. Tom Parker
- Kate Mulvany as Marion Keisker
- David Gannon as Charlie Hodge
- Adam Dunn as Bill Black
- Alex Radu as George Klein
- Gareth Davies as Bones Howe
- Charles Grounds as Elvis’ cousin Billy Smith
- Josh McConville as Sam Phillips
- Chaydon Jay as young Elvis Presley
The project was first announced in April 2014, when Baz Luhrmann entered negotiations to direct the film, with Kelly Marcel writing the script.
No further development on the film was announced until March 2019, when Tom Hanks was cast in the role of Colonel Tom Parker. Luhrmann was set as director, and also replaced Marcel as screenwriter with Sam Bromell and Craig Pearce. In July, the frontrunners for the role of Presley were Ansel Elgort, Miles Teller, Austin Butler, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Harry Styles, with Butler winning the role later that month. In October, Olivia DeJonge was cast to play Priscilla Presley. Maggie Gyllenhaal and Rufus Sewell were cast as Gladys and Vernon Presley in February 2020, with Yola cast as Sister Rosetta Tharpe.
Principal photography began on January 28, 2020 in Australia. On March 12, 2020, production was halted when Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson tested positive for COVID-19 during the pandemic. Filming resumed on September 23. In September 2020, Luke Bracey, Richard Roxburgh, Helen Thomson, Dacre Montgomery, Natasha Bassett, Xavier Samuel, Leon Ford, Kate Mulvany, Gareth Davies, Charles Grounds, Josh McConville, and Adam Dunn joined the cast of the film. Roxburgh and Thomson replaced Sewell and Gyllenhaal, respectively, who had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts caused by the shooting delay. Kelvin Harrison Jr. was announced to be portraying B.B. King in December. In January 2021, it was reported that Alton Mason would be portraying Little Richard in the film.
Elvis is scheduled to be released by Warner Bros. Pictures in the United States on June 24, 2022. It was previously scheduled to be released on October 1, 2021, before being delayed to November 5, 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and later to June 3, 2022. The film was not listed as part of the December 2020 announcement by Warner Bros. Pictures to debut its entire 2021 slate concurrently in movie theaters and on HBO Max, before the film was officially pushed to 2022. It will be streamed on HBO Max 45 days after its theatrical release.
- Official website
- Elvis at IMDb
- Elvis at AllMovie